Improve Your Health and Wellness with Functional Medicine
A functional medicine practitioner doesn’t believe in a one-size-fits-all approach to healthcare.
Living with a debilitating illness and going through one ineffective treatment after another is frustrating. Thankfully, a functional medicine practitioner in Toms River takes a different approach to treating disease – one that can provide relief after years of disappointment.
The Functional Medicine Approach – Why It Works
Only treatments that address the correct cause of your illness will have lasting results. Therefore, it’s imperative for your Toms River functional medicine practitioner to find the root cause of your disease.
One Condition, Many Causes – and Vice Versa
One of the things that set functional medicine practitioners apart is their recognition of the fact that one condition can have many causes. And that one cause can lead to many conditions.
- One Condition, Many Causes: Let’s say someone has depression. The consensus is that the number one cause of depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain. Actually, there can be numerous causes including antibiotic use, vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroidism (low thyroid), Omega-3 deficiency, or the patient could be pre-diabetic.
- One Cause, Many Conditions: Researchers are finding that a single cause – like inflammation – can lead to several diseases. For instance, inflammation can lead to heart disease, arthritis, depression, cancer, diabetes, endometriosis, and more.
Factors That Can Lead to Disease
Your functional medicine practitioner will perform a series of tests to find out what’s causing your disease. Lab tests are imperative – but even your lab tests need to go deeper. Instead of just identifying a disease like diabetes, you want to find out why you’ve developed the disease.
Your lab results will show your healthcare provider whether you’re dealing with:
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Food sensitivities
- Inflammation and other stressors on the body
- Genetic factors
- Environmental influences
- Poor lifestyle choices or unhealthy patterns
Lab results can paint a very detailed picture, pointing the way for your provider to recommend treatments that can give you the results you’re looking for. Such treatments can include:
- Dietary changes, including eating more nutrient-dense foods and eliminating processed foods, as well as eliminating any allergy-inducing foods
- Stress reduction
- Heavy metal detox
- More exercise
- More sleep
Once you’ve been given a treatment plan, your provider will keep track of your progress and make adjustments along the way, so you get the best results possible.
Conventional Medicine Is Very Limited
Dr. Doreen Groves graduated in the mid-1980s with a bachelor’s degree in nursing. Her focus was on conventional medicine. And yet, she decided to change her path and focus on functional medicine and chiropractic instead.
The reason for this? Conventional medicine couldn’t treat her chronic migraines. She found relief by identifying the root cause of her pain. That’s what she aims to do in her practice – help you discover the root cause of your symptoms and find safe, effective ways to treat it.
Interested in learning more about how functional medicine can be used to improve your health? Contact our team today at 732-255-8585 to schedule a consultation.